Saturday 13 July 2013

Not Square?

Hi there welcome here, 
Noo definitely not a square, that is the challenge at LIM this week, not a rectangle either and cards are to be one layer :D. Thinking cap time.

 I made two versions because the first ( and paler of the two below) didn't go as well as I had hoped, I messed her eyes up, this ( the darker version above) is better around the eyes but I messed her hat up LOL!

 This shows how I masked the hat for the texture, I hoped it would look like the hat was woven. I repeatedly stamped the tiny dots with Adirondak Sandal ink using the stamp in my hand not on a block. This way I could control not only the amount of ink but where the dots were, I liked the way by changing direction when stamping I made a pattern which is different on both cards.
 As you can see the shaded area around her eyes is too much and the wrong shape but I think I need to get some finer drawing pencils, for definition. Copics are really great but doing very fine strokes I find challenging. Water colour pencils have a grainy texture, again not wonderful for getting really fine detail.
 I used;
Suzi Blu stamp La Belle
Woodware, Singles, Tiny Dots from The Craft Barn
PTI sentiments

Don't miss out........ because over at the Craft Barn ..........
It's a freebie!  From 6pm Friday until 6pm on Monday all orders over £25 will receive a free pack of Tando minis in their delivery.

We're back from our travels and had a brilliant time. The weather was great and it was a very interesting place, Symonds Yat in the Wye Valley, Herefordshire. We walked and ate and thoroughly enjoyed our time there.
Thank you for dropping by, hugs Gay x

39 comments:

Julie said...

WOW!!!!

Rosemary said...

wow!! what a fantastic card, gay!! she is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Julie and Rosemary. Wow!! :)

Di said...

And a double WOW from me Gay - this is absolutely sensational! Love the way the curve of the hat just flows from the card - you clever girl!

Hugs, Di xx

Les idées de Magouille said...

Wow, great card! gorgeous!

Rika said...

Wonderful and elegant card Gay!

Jenny said...

Oh Gay.. This is wonderful, I love how the card shape follows the brim of her hat and the shading is just perfect on her hat in my eyes... Love the woven texture too :0)
Symonds Yat is beautiful isn't it, amazing views!!!
Jenny x

Patricia said...

Good Morning Gay,
Have not been here for a while but my goodness you are still creating wonderful things.
This is stunning I love what you have done with this beautiful creation.
We are all so critical of our own work. Step back and take another look it is absolutely fantastic , I love it.
Have a Great Day

Patricia xx

Helen J said...

Brilliant card, love the way you did the hat!

Doreen said...

Wow this is stunning Gay,love it.xxx

sally said...

Love how this all flows together Gay, the shading looks fine to me :-)

Sally

Stamps and Paper said...

Love both your cards Gay and love that fab image.

We used to visit Symmondns Yat a lot when we lived in Wilts pleased you had a great time

Anne

Sarn said...

Terrific non-square cards here Gay. You're always so original.

I have been to the Wye Valley and Simmonds Yat too . . . beautiful place. xxx

Kathyk said...

Smashing card, super shape and a lovely image

Kathyk

Viv said...

Another WOW here too Gay, I love it, how clever too! Not made mine as yet, grandbabies took all my time yesterday...thinking cap on now :) Viv xx

Sasha said...

Hi Gay, I love how you cut around her hat to give your cards shape. Such a fabulous look and a great take on this challenge.
Hope you're enjoying a great weekend! x

Suzi B said...

Wonderful... I love it. What a fabulous stamp
Suzi B x

Evil Edna said...

Love this! she looks so much like a mirror I had with an image on a woman in the corner in the 1980s.. when I were a lass!EE

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a fabulous card-love how you made this :)
Nessa xx

Canonbury creations said...

Stunning card Gay, love how you cut around the hat and he way you achieved the woven texture, amazing card:) Glad you had a wonderful break, stunning weather eh?
Val x

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

What can I say that hasn't already been said? SO original and fabulous cards. You really are a clever designer.

Gerrina said...

Beautiful shape! great idea to get the structure at the hat! Greetings, Gerrina

K-Creatief said...

A fantastic card with a beautiful shape, very nice,

Karin

Unknown said...

Looks amazing my friend.

Hugs~

Lucine said...

Such a nice shape! I love it how the hat is part of the shape of the card. Lovely colouring too!:-))

Chrissie said...

Oh my Gay, this Is awesome...such attention to detail, it's gorgeous!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
Less is More

Netty said...

I totally love how you've used this stamp, it has certainly made me look at it in a different way. Fab results Gay, hugs Annette x

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Wow stunning design Gay ! Cheers, Shirleyx

Darnell said...

I think the eyes are fine in the first one, Gay, and she does look quite fetching in the ferns! But I like even more how the hat brim is shaded across her face in the second (top) one. Either way, you've blow my socks off, which was very nice of you because it's gotten too warm in here to have socks on anyway!

I'm so glad to hear you had a lovely time away to Y in the W!!

Linby said...

Wow love this and the effect you achieved on the hat, very creative all round..
Linbyx

Cynthia Schelzig said...

yes, I said WOW tooooo...a fab card indeed!!

Vicky Hayes said...

You always amaze me with your creativity Gay - this is fabulous! I love the way you saw the shape possibilities in the hat and the texture is a superb touch. Sounds like a fab holiday! Vicky x

Karin said...

wow what a smashing card, love it! Groetjes Karin

Yvette said...

Wow .... gorgeous!

wienerhoneymooners said...

Yes, the woven texture, exciting!!!
Love this card shape and images.

SYLVIA-ANNE said...

Another big WOW from me my friend! I absolutely love this card - the way you placed the hat is perfection. Fabulous colouring too.
So pleased you had a good holiday.
Hope all is well - Hugs, Sylvia xx

Gio said...

I dunno...for me these are both perfect! Just love at the first time, for me! Pure perfection!

Jen Nelson said...

Great card. Sorry for my late visit.
Thanks for joining us this week x
Jen
"Less Is More"

Rosmarie said...

What a wise idea to let exceed the lady's hat! This gives a great card which is quite in the theme!
Thanks for visiting and the nice comment you left!
Rosi x